ON FRIENDSHIP....

April 11, 2013

When I was a senior in high school, surrounded by friends who I was SURE would be my best friends for life, I never thought about how relationships might change as we evolved into the women we would be. Isn't if funny how at that age you think you've figured it all out? And then 10 years later you're still learning and look back at those late high school years and think, god I was such an idiot. Friendship, like any relationship is hard, but back then who thought like that? Now I know, you have to work at it- there are some friendships that seem like a little too much work and then you have to decide, is this relationship worth all this effort? I'm a firm believer that people come in and out of your life at certain times for specific reasons. This is a lesson I've learned to accept over the years and the reason I am able to find contentment with friendship even when every single relationship doesn't last. You see, I've been on the rejected end of the friendship stick and it hurts like heck.  You say things like, I'm a great friend, I can't understand why she doesn't want me around anymore." You cry. You get angry. You mourn. And then one day you wake up and you are stronger and you understand that not every relationship is meant to last. 

As I've grown into a woman, wife and mother I've learned how to have healthy friendship. Friendship is about balance- you give and you take and that's how it's supposed to go. The worst relationships are the ones that cant quiet seem to figure this balance out. I've surrounded myself with a handful of amazing women who do the balancing thing oh so well (another word for balance anyone? geesh.)  The kind that share similar values, that throw you a baby shower, that visit you in the hospital the day you give birth because they're just as much an auntie to your baby as an actual family member is. The kind that doesn't care if you show up in sweats with no makeup, the kind that would rather stay in with some takeout and conversation over a night out, the kind that would watch your baby at the drop of a hat, or who gladly lends you their shoulder even when there are other places to turn. These are the kind of women that make great friends, these are the women I am proud to say I have in my life today.

5 COMMENTS:

  1. Lovely post. Can we be friends?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I was just going to say the same! Lovely post, can we be friends? lol.

    I feel the same way about my own friendships though, there are few that are true friends for life and evolve along with us, accepting all the change that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well said. we are already friends, right?! lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by and taking the time to comment. Have a wonderful day!

 

© OUR CITY HOUSE All rights reserved. Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger