ON LETTING GO

May 6, 2013

I'm learning that even though there are dishes to clean, emails to answer, floors to sweep, clothes to be folded, where my time is best spent is right here with this little girl in my arms. There will ALWAYS be dishes to clean and floors to sweep but the days I have, being exactly what my daughter needs are limited. She won't always need the comfort of my arms to feel safe and soothed for her afternoon nap and while it's hard to look around our not so perfect house and think, gosh I should be straightening things up, I'm learning to let go and be what my daughter needs in the moment. 

It's so easy to feel like I need to constantly be "doing." Part of me attributes this to the fact that I'm not working outside of the home right now and if our house is in tip top shape at all times I'm doing my part and pulling my weight. I've wrestled with this for the past few months and am finally starting to realize I'm pulling more than my weight around here by being the best mom and wife I know how to be- that having a happy, healthy, well loved daughter is way more important than a clean kitchen. 

I'll blink my eyes and these sweet, easy going, cuddly days will be gone and I don't want to wake up knowing I should have just slowed down and enjoyed them. I do enjoy them and I want them to be filled with cuddles AND piles of laundry because honestly, that's real life and how our days should be spent. 

6 COMMENTS:

  1. YES YES YES! Good for you, mama. Before you know it she will be a little girl, talking in full paragraphs and you'll be thinking, "where oh where did my baby go?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know and that's exactly why I want to be more intentional with her now. I already can't believe how big she has gotten in just three short months. It really does fly :)

      Delete
  2. I love this. As I anticipate my little guys arrival (2 weeks!)- I've thought about how it's going to be such an adjustment staying home instead of working. When I'm home, I can't sit still. I have to have the house clean and things done, so I'm already thinking this is going to be a battle for me. I really love that you are trying to find the balance. It's inspiring to know I won't be alone in finding that balance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yah. i keep a magnet on my fridge saying "a clean house is a sign of a wasted life" ... while that is dramatic haha, it's got some truth. holding ru and being still will fly by and you are right, there's always dust somewhere. (ugg!) before you know it she will be moving a mile a minute and snuggles will turn into games and playing (which are equally fun in their own right!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you nailed this one on the nose! it's amazing how fast the time flys, and like you, i don't want to look back with regrets. my house is not perfect, i'm never (ever) caught up, but i'm always caught up on my kids. i always give them the time they need and deserve.

    just by realzing this you are an amazing mother.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! I love that- you're never caught up but always caught up on your kids. YES.

      Delete

Thank you for coming by and taking the time to comment. Have a wonderful day!

 

© OUR CITY HOUSE All rights reserved. Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger