REMEMBER THIS GUY?

June 13, 2013

It happened. The thing I never, in a million years thought would happen happened. Our first "child" Clyde the dog did indeed turn into a dog when our Ruthie girl arrived. I'm going through this weird sort of mom guilt over it. I do love him but these days most things he does (ya know like shed, shake and bark- all very much things a dog should do) drive me bonkers. Ru has hair on most her things, his barking wakes her, and his shaking, my god it's like nails on a chalk board to me. The poor guy, I know. I really do feel horrible for how our relationship has evolved post baby. I want to snuggle and dote on him like I used to but I just....don't. I'm hopeful that as Ru grows the old love I had for him will too. I just think right now with so much of my time and energy being focused on Ru the  annoyance he seems to have become is why I'm struggling so much with him. Gosh, I feel so bad even writing this but if I'm being honest this is all just true. Does anyone have any tips on how I can show him I still love him? I'm thinking even just intentionally taking 5 or 10 minutes each day to sit with him and rub him will do the trick, right? Sorry Clyde-O. Mom still loves you but there's just this tiny human who needs me a little bit more right now.

8 COMMENTS:

  1. I'm struggling with this too. 2 mini schnauzers. I feel horribly guilty. All I can do is scratch their ears, rub them, and tell them I'm sorry, it will get better, I still love them. I know this isn't enough though. They deserve so much more. I feel really good when I include them in a stroller walk, as annoying as it is take them. I just have to tell myself it will be better one of these days. Dogs are so sweet... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right on. Anytime I do the tiniest thing (that i used to do ALL THE TIME) like walk him I feel so happy. Gosh, it's hard having a babe with a dog that used to be so so loved on. This mom guilt thing (even just with a dog) is not joke!

      Delete
  2. I had the same problem with my dog. But it got so much better! Soon enough Ru will get interested in the dog, and start to LOVE him. My daughter ADORES our dog. She can't get enough. And our dog has regained her status in the family. I make time to have special one on one time with the dog, and I am always happy when I walk her. I do have to make a special effort, but I find it SO worthwhile. Just a short walk makes all the difference, so I make time to squeeze one in every day - even if it's just 5 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad im not the only one, Nikita! And, glad to know it will get better!

      Delete
  3. Im worried about experiencing the same thing in October when our little boy arrives. We have two very energetic dogs, and Im sure theyre going to feel the difference in attention pretty keenly. Our plan, at this point, is to continue giving them two full days a week (if not more) at Dogtown in Clifton. That way they get to play with a ton of other dogs and get special attention from all the awesome staff that works there, as well as from us at home! A full day for one dog is around $22 I think. They dont crate your dog (unless you want them to), they get nap times and play times, inside and outside. Walks cost extra, but they definitely offer them. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's actually a great idea, Julia! I think we'll look into it! thanks!

      Delete
  4. One of my favorite things now that my son is 7 months old is how he LAUGHS hysterically at our dogs. It will get better. I've even commented to my husband how sad it is that some days I have forgotten to feed the dogs until hours after their normal dinner time, just because we are preoccupied. But then again, I think the dogs really enjoy all of the tummy time and playing on the floor we all do. So it will even out. And your dog will adjust in the same way you do. Also, I suggest white noise during baby naps so that the barking will not be so disruptive. I'm also not one of those moms that worries much about naps. My son doesn't like to nap more than an hour some days and we survive. Those first few months are so challenging--I feel like an old hat at this mama stuff by now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You shouldn't forget about your dog. Just as you said it is important to take time out for your husband and yourself and have date nights because before the baby it was just you two, you should set aside some one on one time with your dog as well. After all, before your human baby there was your dog baby. He still needs love and affection too. You should take him along when you take the baby for a walk in the stroller or when you're working on your computer while the baby is napping you should let him come cuddle with you. He probably misses his mom :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by and taking the time to comment. Have a wonderful day!

 

© OUR CITY HOUSE All rights reserved. Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger