ST. NICK WAS HERE

December 6, 2013

IMG_1796 IMG_1800 IMG_1798 IMG_1805 IMG_1810 IMG_1814
Happy St. Nick's all! This morning I was giddy when brining Ruthie down the stairs to see her stocking. I know she has no idea but it's so fun sharing these firsts with her during her first holiday season. I slowly pulled out the simple little things I got for her one at a time and spent a few minutes looking and playing with each little item. We are setting the precedent of simple holiday gifting for our children right off the bat and so in her stocking was an ornament for the tree, a finger puppet, a sweet little gnome and a holiday book. I think it's safe to say she loved it. She carried the gnome and finger puppet around with her the entire morning :)

Nick and I have been talking a lot about how we want to do our family gifting at Christmas and decided on 4 gifts for Ruthie. You may have seen this idea floating around the internet this season and we really loved the idea. So, This year and in the years to come Ruthie will receive something to play with, something she needs, something to wear and something to read. It's simple and fun and I think a good reminder that the holiday's are not solely about gift giving. And with this being the first year we have a child in the mix Nick and I decided we would be super simple and gift ourselves the cappuccino maker we've been lusting after for a while now.

How do you guys do gift giving?

Ruthie's finger puppet, ornament and gnome all came from local children's boutique, the spotted goose and her book from local children's bookstore, blue manatee. Two of my favorite places.

5 COMMENTS:

  1. How sweet - I'm glad you're enjoying Ruthie's first holiday season! That little polar bear is just too precious.

    I love the simple gifting idea. While I can't "enforce" it for my boyfriend's son, I want to start guiding us in that direction. Simplicity and less of a focus on GETTING MORE STUFF is important to me. Matt and I are giving each other the gift of vacation this year by adding the money we would have spent on gifts to our Costa Rica fun! I am sooo excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We go wayyy light on gifts bc if being bombarded with gifts from family. This year I asked everyone to gift them a special day alone with my kids. I'm doing the same as my gifts. And since the kids were born we usually do a large donation to a charity as our family gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Growing up we always got tons of gifts, but when I, the youngest of all the sisters, and the cousins, became an adult the presents subsided. The first Christmas, and birthdays, my fella and I celebrated together we just did gifts like we do all year 'round: if I see something and think of you, I'll get it.
    Christmas for our family has always been more about relaxing, making or practicing traditions, and of course, bringing the Spirit into the home in gratitude and peace, and preparing to start the new year that much more renewed. That much more whole.
    Gifts, unless there's a little one, aren't even really a thought any more. Honestly, I think everyone has enjoyed the holidays much more over the past years because of it. It's turned the holiday into a unified spiritual, joyful experience for the whole family.
    It's good to see that you're inviting a positive holiday spirit into your home and enjoying the things that really matter with your family! So happy for you three.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I could not agree with you more :)

      Delete

Thank you for coming by and taking the time to comment. Have a wonderful day!

 

© OUR CITY HOUSE All rights reserved. Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger