EATING SIMPLE, EATING WELL

January 2, 2014

One thing I'd like to start incorporating more into this space are some of the simple meals we eat around here. I am not a cook, and still, I struggle with finding joy in preparing food but the more I learn about food, the more I enjoy making a meal that is filled with an abundance of nutrients for me and my family. I'm also hoping that I'll get some more idea's of simple meals through sharing the types of meals we generally eat. First up is sautéed kale and mushrooms with balsamic vinegar and a touch of parmesan cheese over whole wheat pasta. I am not a very good "recipe follower." Maybe that's why I'm not a very cook? I like to take the foods I like and mix and match them with different sauces and spices. For this simple meal, I chopped kale and mushroom, threw it in the skillet with some balsamic, then mixed it in with the pasta and sprinkled some parmesan on top. See? Simple. What is a go to simple, healthy meal you find yourself making week after week?

2 COMMENTS:

  1. Looks and sounds very delicious. I'm definitely going to have to try it. Thanks for sharing. Happy New Year!! xo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have recently become enamored with brussels sprouts. I tried a recipe from Home Made Winter by Yvette ban Boven (LOVE that book). Super easy and once I made it once I didn't have to go back to the recipe. Boil potatoes (red &/or yellow) with sausage (I used bratworst from Whole Foods - a little spicy the day of but perfect in leftovers). Once done I brown the sausage a bit (modified from the recipe). The mashed potatoes are made with a little butter (or in my case I can't believe it's not butter w/olive oil), vegetable or chicken broth, and a little orange juice. Boil up some brussels sprouts…I put some garlic, olive oil, and seasoning in the water to give some flavor. When the mashed potatoes are ready you mash in the brussels sprouts and cut up the sausage and mix that in there too. It's delicious. Freezes great and is great in leftovers too. I made it last week for the first time. It was so good I made it again this week and stocked my freezer with it. Happy New Year!! Cheers, T.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by and taking the time to comment. Have a wonderful day!

 

© OUR CITY HOUSE All rights reserved. Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger