HELLO TODDLERHOOD

April 25, 2014

It's interesting what's been happening over here this past week. Ruthie has discovered the concept of throwing a tantrum and has been seeing what sorts of things she can get away with when throwing one. Not that I knew what I was doing when I brought her little 4 pound body home from the hospital but I at least felt like I couldn't do too much wrong as long as she was fed, warm, and loved. Now we have reached this place where she is not a baby any more. We left babyhood weeks ago and have dived right into toddlerville with such force. It's been both scary and insanely fun. I'm constantly questioning if I react the right way to her little fits wanting to lay the groundwork for the years to come. So far, she hasn't won a single little tantrum (and guys, they are over stuff  like needing, desperately needing to go outside and down the street to touch the fire hydrant.) And honestly, they aren't that bad - she cry's a bit, usually throws her body around a bit (which is pretty cute but I try not to smile) and then it's pretty much over if I just redirect her to something else but I'm all, 'should I be saying the word 'no' to her more, should I even address the issue at all and strictly just be redirecting, yada yada yada.' I really, really just don't want to end up with the 2 year old who screams bloody murder at the grocery store because I don't let her have every single Elmo snack she see's. So, for the most part she has been her normal, silly, sweet as can be self - it's just this past week, mix in a little bit of fit throwing and here we are, in this new territory of being the mother of a toddler. Welp, I'm off to go stop said toddler from feeding the dog her cheddar bunnies. TGIF.

4 COMMENTS:

  1. You're doing a great job momma. I once read that kids need a yes every once in a while between the no's. Everything is a balance, and boundaries are important, but saying yes here and there won't create a defiant child. I've had some battles over the pat 11 years with my oldest, some I'm bot proud how I handled, but no one is perfect. A perfect reminder that I can't expect her to be perfect. At the root of her soul is love, and I always have reassurance in that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda. You are so right that we aren't perfect and that doing our best is all we can do. You are such a great example of mama hood!

      Delete
  2. Ruthie was 4 pounds when you brought her home? Oh my! I have never held a baby that small.

    Sounds like you're doing great with the tantrums. Crazy how they are a baby one day and then the next they are throwing tantrums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! She weighted 5.2 when she was born and dropped to 4.8 when we took her home. She was totally healthy just the smallest little thing there ever was. She literally fit in nicks hand. It's hard to even remember her that way :)

      Delete

Thank you for coming by and taking the time to comment. Have a wonderful day!

 

© OUR CITY HOUSE All rights reserved. Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger