WHY I WENT PRIVATE

October 27, 2014

Hello friends and happy monday! I wanted to pop in to let you all know I've set my Instagram account to private, for now. If you follow me, odds are you still do but I did use the IG exorcist which got rid of nearly 2,500 unengaged users. Gosh that felt good. Nothing crazy happened but my account was getting to a point where I was starting to feel uneasy about so many folks I don't know seeing photo's of my girl everyday. People (we don't know) started coming up to us at the grocery store and parks, knowing Ruthie by name and a few photo's were taken and posted to other accounts without permission and I think that was just it for me. As amazing as the IG community can be, (and the awesome, genuine connections i've made through it) having people know Ru and having her photos's floating around isn't something I'm comfortable with or willing to enable.  I love my child more than anything in this world and the notion that I could potentially be putting her at risk was making me feel sick to my stomach. I was literally loosing sleep over it. This decision is right for right now. I know I am going to loose business opportunities and not have the same exposure for projects and creative ventures but that's okay. If it means I have control over one tiny part of my child's safety then it is a no brainer for me. There are so many things we can not protect our children from, this is one we can and I want to be smart about it. I am not judging any mama's out there with large followings who are public. Truly. If you are comfortable with your decisions and your children's best interest is at heart (which I know it is) then great. This is not about your choices, it is purely about what feels right for us. The only thing I would ask (because I had to ask myself the same question) is, are you public because so and so is to or does it actually feel right for you? It is so easy to get caught up when you see your numbers grow and when you see how other big IG'ers / bloggers use the platform. I get all of that and was in that mindset for a long time. Again, I do not think you are wrong- please, please take that as a honest statement. 

I  also wanted to say thank you to everyone who commented on my photo announcing the decision. You have no idea how much they meant to me and how supportive and encouraging the IG community felt in that moment. Thanks y'all.

11 COMMENTS:

  1. Thank you for this! I totally get it. I've been going back and forth on this subject and don't even have a fraction of the followers you do. I usually send a direct message to people I follow who I don't already have a personal relationship with (sent one to you a few weeks ago) to introduce myself because I find it strange to be able to peek into someone else's world without letting them know who I am. I also find it odd when people follow me, but never like a photo or comment. It's kind of creepy. I think you are a smart mama and relationships and new opportunities will still flourish for you via your blog and other outlets. The only thing that has held me back from going private is looking at the connections I've made with other mothers across the world via IG, but I think it's time to really evaluate what is best for me and my family. Perhaps going private, but still reaching out? Either way, kudos to you for shedding light on the topic! All the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a great approach, tasha! I think people forget that behind each instagram account is a human being so an introduction is such a personal, 'human' response. I love that! Thank you!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Lindsay! I agree. I hope you got my message a few weeks back. Take care!

      Delete
    3. I'm not sure that I did? I tried to find it and can't. So so sorry!

      Delete
    4. That's okay! No worries :)

      Delete
  2. I totally support your decision! I used to post many pictures of my baby sister but then I would become very uneasy about having her on my page so much. Some people become very infatuated with your lives and sometimes it is good to take a step back and become private! Very respectable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely get it! I made my account public for a very short while because I felt pressure to gain a following like some of my favorite IG accounts/bloggers, but after a few followers that I questioned and comments that concerned me... I knew it was the wrong decision and I immediately made my account private again. This is something I struggle with (the sharing or oversharing) and I think all parents do to some degree. I support your decision 100%. I hope it offers some sort of peace and doesn't hinder the pictures you take/post of your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally understand where you're coming from. I'd feel the same way. It's reassuring to know there's a way to remove unengaged followers though. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. I'm a teacher turned stay-at-home mom to a 19 month old and a 5 year old Montessori student (BaanDek Montessori, Sioux Falls, SD, which is how I think I found you on IG.) I guess I just felt like I could relate to you, and appreciated your positive parenting/ loving comments/ Montessori vibe you put out there. Though I have a very small, private account, I understand and appreciate your sentiment. My husband has the large, public account and I think about it often. People know my kids. It's weird. And hard. Glad you are finding peace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks amy! Yes, I think i've connected with your husband through Bobby! Thanks for the understanding and supportive comment :)

      Delete

Thank you for coming by and taking the time to comment. Have a wonderful day!

 

© OUR CITY HOUSE All rights reserved. Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger