BITS OF OUR PLAY/HOMESCHOOL SPACE

January 19, 2017

If you follow me over on Instagram, you know there aren't a lot of things I love more than making a home and Montessori / Waldorf education. I wanted to share bits of our play and work environment here to talk a little bit about the intentional choices we've made in this particular space for our children. First off, before I had my girls, I was a Montessori primary teacher. I love everything about the philosophy and could talk for days about it. I'm a huge nerd when it comes right down to it. I am also aware that our home environment (and the way I teach my children) doesn't fall into the strict, traditional Montessori pedology. So, 'true' Montessorians would disagree with my incorporation of Waldorf (And vice versa for Waldorfians) but I find the both of them to be beautiful educational philosophies and I also believe there is not one single, or right or wrong way we must educate our children. I take the things that work for us, that I find beautiful about each method, and apply them here at home. My aim is to nurture my children as a whole, help them find their unique identities, instill in them confidence, teach them to serve others, respect nature and one another and learn in a safe, welcoming, loving environment. As a side note, I do find that there are a lot of similarities in the two philosophies, although strict followers of either would probably disagree with me there too. 

We also have wonderful Montessori and Waldorf programs in our city and it has been a gift to have my oldest daughter experience both. She goes to Montessori two days a week now and I'll start my baby bird in a parent/child Waldorf nature class next fall then into the same Montessori program once she's 3 1/2. We may have them do Waldorf summer programs or enrichment classes here and there too. I love that we can just see how we feel and decide as the time comes. Im finding that sort of freedom really empowering with our decision to partially homeschool. 

Anywho! This space! I have it mostly set up in the traditional Montessori sense of low level shelves with work set out completely ready for them to use with little to no help from me. I do have some traditional materials out for them as well- sandpaper letters, the pink tower, numbers and counters, spindle boxes, and the moveable alphabet. I also have a play kitchen, a lot of art materials and baby dolls out which all fall more in line with the Waldorf philosophy. While Montessori stresses the importance of reality, real materials and real work, which I love, I do also really like the whimsy, imaginative aspects that Waldorf encourages. I think there can be a nice mix of the two that doesn't create confusion in the child while still allowing them to work and play all in the same breadth. 

I am actually interested in adding a few more Waldorf touches to the space including a nature table and natural fabrics. I think it is also important to note that neither of these philosophies, at their core, are about materials. These beautiful methods can be implemented in your home, regardless of financial means. With a bit of research and commitment to practicing you can certainly achieve your educational/lifestyle goals.

A few sources that might help in understanding the philosophies better, and some of my own personal favorites:

Montessori: 



Readings:



Waldorf:



Readings:






6 COMMENTS:

  1. I love this post! I am very interested in starting to do something similar for my almost 15 month old. We are actually moving to London and I'm hoping to find a similar set up to what it sounds like you are doing with Ruthie. Thank you for all of this great, insightful info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Best of luck to you on your move and education journey! It's all so exciting!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, you did a wonderful job here, who is the man/woman behind the overall concept, need to take some advice for my homeschool space as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life is good when you have your love ones around you, I am saying this because when i had issues with my lover i never seen life as a good thing but thanks to Dr. OGUDUGU OF OGUDUGU SOLUTION TEMPLE, for helping me to cast a spell that brought my lover back to me within the space of 48hours. My husband left me for another woman after 7YEARS of marriage,but Dr.OGUDUGU help me cast a spell that brought him back to me within 48hours. I am not going to tell you more details about myself rather i will only advise those who are having issues in there relationship or marriages to contact Dr.OGUDUGU SOLUTION TEMPLE through these details via; (GREATOGUDUGU@GMAIL.COM Website: http://greatdrogudugusolutiontemple.webs.com/) or call him on WHATSAPP: +2348055304321?


    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Everyone,
    I'm from United Kingdom London, City(GB). I met this spell caster called Dr IyaryI of driayaryi2012@hotmail.com online and so many other, but i decided to go with this particular spell caster and this is about 2 weeks ago.I needed the spell caster to reunite me and my lover because she started behaving strange and a day came she text me and told me she cannot continue with the relationship anymore, that she just want to be alone.But a close friend of hers shows the guy to me that she was now dating.So i contacted this spell caster because i was totally heart broken and i smoked and get drunk till i could not even notice if am standing or lying.This spell caster told me not to worry, he gave me hope that am to have her again just like old times, and i provided all the requirements, and in just 5 days, my ex lover called me crying over the phone asking for me to forgive her for her stupid act, and she swore with her mother grave to love me and never hurt me again.This was what the spell caster earlier told me and it came after he has done the spell and that same night, my lover came back to the house to me. I have never seen spell as powerful as this but now, am convinced that Dr IyaryI is the best ever, You can contact him through him email address: driayaryi2012@hotmail.com or driayaryi2012@hotmail.com or And also Reach him on WhatsApp Number: +2349057915709 Thanks Dr. IyaryI

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by and taking the time to comment. Have a wonderful day!

 

© OUR CITY HOUSE All rights reserved. Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger